The Risk Management Conference for Outdoor Adventure Businesses
As an outdoor tour operator, risk management is one of the most important aspects of your business. You need to know how to train your staff properly, create the perfect waiver, choose the right insurance company, prepare yourself and your team for incident response, which could include PR knowledge, and more. This is no easy task- and to get it wrong could be fatal to your adventure business.
This is where America Outdoors comes in. Every year America Outdoors gathers the experts in risk management in one convenient place so you can come to learn the most up-to-date strategies for minimizing your risk exposure.
Still not convinced? Check out these 4 reasons the America Outdoors Conference is the best place for you to learn risk management:
1. The Experts
Every year America Outdoors brings in the experts in outdoor travel industry risk management. To truly understand the value, let’s take a look at a few of our speakers – we will even give you a bonus peak at their past presentations!
- Leah Corrigan - Leah is an experienced litigator who advises and defends outdoor recreation providers. Leah spent ten years as a river guide across the West, and is an avid river runner, skier, and mountain biker. She is passionate about helping recreation companies appropriately manage risk, while keeping the adventure in their operations.
Leah has covered topics such as Sexual Harassment in the “Me Too” Era, Minimizing Your Risk Exposure, and ADA Compliance for Outfitters.
- Pat Tabor- Through the Swan Mountain Consulting Group, Pat consults with tour operator companies on strategic planning, performance improvement, buy/sell, leadership development and other specialized areas of consulting focused on the outdoor recreation industry. Pat’s most recent talk “Best in Class Operations, Get in Front of Contract Disputes and Litigation” explored how to implement risk management best practices BEFORE incidents occur.
- Tracey Knutson - Tracey is an attorney licensed in Alaska, Colorado and Montana whose primary practice involves working with recreation and adventure sports commercial tour operators, public land administrators and recreation oriented educational groups. An experienced trial lawyer, Tracey defends recreation companies and sports groups from liability claims, often negotiating pretrial conclusions that minimize time and expense. Tracey's belief, when it comes to recreational endeavors, is that risk and opportunity exist simultaneously.
Tracey educates attendees of the America Outdoors conference on the fine details of writing a release, what to expect if litigation must occur, how to choose your legal and insurance providers, and more.
2. Insurance Companies
At America Outdoors, not only do you receive risk management education, you also have the opportunity to meet with the premier providers of insurance for outdoor tour operators and outfitter companies.
The America Outdoors Expo is designed with outfitters and outdoor tour operators in mind. Only the best and most relevant vendors are there waiting to help you find the best service for your business. Choosing your insurance provider is one of the most important decisions you must make. We highly recommend speaking to each of the best insurance providers to find the best fit for your needs.
Check out a few of the insurance companies that are members of America Outdoors:
- XINSURANCE: XINSURANCE Powered by Evolution Insurance Brokers is a full service excess and surplus lines brokerage with a partnership approach to providing insurance options and solutions to business and individuals in the outdoor recreation industry.
- CBIZ: Outfitter and Guides Insurance including: Liability, Property, Inland Marine, Commercial Auto, and Life Insurance.
- Granite Insurance: The primary goal at Granite Insurance is to help your business accomplish its goals and dreams, even during unexpected events. Our team of adventure sports experts is here to help you analyze, design, execute and monitor your risk management and insurance program.
- Thompson-Gusic Insurance Group Inc- Outdoor Recreation Insurance. The Thompson-Gusic Insurance Group has been servicing the insurance needs of outfitter clients on a national, regional, and local level since 1993.
3. Peer Review
There is simply no price tag that can reflect the value of reviewing risk management policies with your peers in the outdoor travel industry. To be able to discuss openly with other business owners your challenges and concerns is simple invaluable. America Outdoors provides the atmosphere for these types of exchanges to happen.
The network built at the America Outdoors Conference will leave you with friends you can call upon when you have an issue or question you need to discuss. Your next mentor or industry peer could be waiting for you in the risk management break out session.
4. Elevate the Industry
At America Outdoors, we are dedicated to the betterment of our industry. Let’s be honest- when incidents occur, it can be a PR nightmare, and not just for the company involved. Just take a look at some headlines:
“Rafting company downplayed danger of “slaughterhouse” rapids near Aspen leading to death, lawsuit says”
“After an Avalanche, Questions About Safety”
“Rethinking zip line safety after the death of a child”
These headlines don’t exactly get you in the frame of mind to go on vacation with an outfitter. Now, no one is suggesting that we can eliminate all risks. In the outdoor travel industry, inherent risk is part of what we do. However, we aim to elevate our industry with education around risk management so avoidable incidents can be prevented. We want tour operators to embrace best practices BEFORE an incident occurs. When we come together and truly dedicate ourselves to risk management, our industry grows in safety and in turn demand for tours will increase.
You know how important risk management is to the success of your outdoor adventure business. Don’t chance it; join our community at the America Outdoors Conference and Outfitter Expo to prepare yourself for the unexpected and improve your risk management practices.
Get more information
If you have an outdoor recreation business, you need to be concerned with Risk Management. Let America Outdoors be your partners in risk management excellence. Attend the America Outdoors Conference.
Request more information